From:Nathan Lyons Research Center, Visual Studies Workshop
Name/TitleThe Soldier’s Home. Three miles north of the capitol
About this objectC. M. Bell Studios operated in Washington D. C. throughout the 1860s-1910s. Photographer C. M. Bell was the proprietor of the studio until his death in 1893. Depicted is the Soldiers Home which was established in 1851 “for the relief and support of invalid and disabled soldiers of the U. S. Army.” The home was designated for men who had served 20 years in the military, pensioners, and those injured or sick from their time in the service of their country. The predominately marble structures were built approximately 3 miles from the capitol on 600 acres of land, which was used to cultivate crops for food for soldiers who occupied the facility. The facility was built at the insistence of General Winfield Scott. The estate was comprised of a hospital, library, several dormitories, a house for the officers, stables, hot houses, a chapel, and a “President’s Cottage.” In the 19th century the grounds were open to the public every day from 9am to sunset. According to Presidential Proclamation 72 signed by President Bill Clinton on July 7, 2000, the grounds and buildings have been designated as a National Monument.
Place MadeWashington, D.C.
Date Madeca. 1900
Medium and Materialsgelatin silver print, mounted on board
Inscription and Marksverso: [ink] The Soldiers Home 3 miles North of the Capitol forverso: [printed label] The label indicates a portion of the historical background on the Soldiers Home.verso: [pencil] 20. Soldiers Homeverso: [pencil] 76:003:13
Measurementsimage: 16.9 cm x 22.7 cm
overall: 20 cm x 25 cm
Subject and Association KeywordsBell, C.M.
Subject and Association Keywordsgelatin silver
Subject and Association Keywords1900’s
Subject and Association KeywordsWashington D.C.
Subject and Association KeywordsThe Soldier’s Home
Credit Linepurchase from Charles Wood
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved