From:Nathan Lyons Research Center, Visual Studies Workshop
Name/TitleBureau of Engraving and Printing
About this objectC. M. Bell Studios operated in Washington D. C. throughout the 1860s-1910s. Photographer C. M. Bell was the proprietor of the studio until his death in 1893. Depicted is the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (The Government Printing Office) the Roman inspired building was an essential printer and was constructed to be fire-proof in the late-1800s. The printing and book-binding establishment was located at the corner of H and North Capitol streets. The building spanned 300 ft. on H street and 173 ft. on North Capitol street. The structure was 50 ft. deep and was four stories in height. The late-19th century printing facility was essential—printing the annual issues from Congress, the Executive Departments, and the Judiciary. The structure was erected 1879-1880, and the building cost over $300,000.
Place MadeWashington, D.C.
Date Madeca. 1900
Medium and Materialsgelatin silver print, mounted on board
Inscription and Marksverso: [ink] Bureau of Engraving & Printingverso: [printed label] The two printing labels indicate the history of the Government Printing Office. verso: [pencil] 10. 76:003:14
Measurementsimage: 17.9 cm x 23.8 cm
overall: 20 cm x 25 cm
Subject and Association KeywordsBell, C.M.
Subject and Association Keywords1900’s
Subject and Association Keywordsgelatin silver
Subject and Association KeywordsWashington D.C.
Subject and Association KeywordsBureau of Engraving and Printing
Credit Linepurchase from Charles Wood