Name/TitleThe Smithsonian Institute
About this objectC.M. Bell Studios operated in Washington in the 1860s-1910s, with proprieter and photographer running the studio until his death in 1893. From a group of thirty-four views of buildings in Washington D.C. The Smithsonian Institution Building was the original edifice of the Smithsonian. In 1855, the original structure was completed. In the early 20th century the architecture of the institute housed part of the United States National Museum, the International Exchange Service offices, and scientific research laboratories. In 1828 an Englishman named James Smithson left his entire property to his invalid nephew — with the proviso that upon his nephews death the property would be left to the United States, “to found, at Washington, establishment for the increase and diffusion of knowledge.”
Place MadeWashington, D.C.
Date Madeca. 1900
Medium and Materialsgelatin silver print, mounted on board
Inscription and Marksrecto: [print] E.J. Pullman & Son, Publishers, recto: [print] 459 PA. AVE. WASHINGTON, D. C. verso: [ink] The Smithsonian Institute. Washington, D. C. verso: [printed label] The Smithsonian Institute origin story is detailed. verso: [ink] A description of the Main Hall and the 60,000 specimens that are housed there. verso: [pencil] 16, 76:003:27
Measurementsimage: 17.9 cm x 23.9 cm
overall: 20.1 cm x 25.2 cm
Subject and Association Keywords1900’s
Subject and Association KeywordsBell, C.M.
Subject and Association Keywordsgelatin silver
Subject and Association KeywordsSmithsonian Institute
Subject and Association KeywordsWashington D.C.
Credit LinePurchase from Charles Wood