From:Nathan Lyons Research Center, Visual Studies Workshop
Name/TitleThe Ostrich Farm
About this objectThe Detroit Photographic Company was best known for their wide collection of Photochrom postcards. They obtained exclusive rights for the Photochrom process in the United States. This process uses black and white negatives by doing a direct photographic transfer onto a lithographic printing plate. The litho stone was coated in bitumen, with a halftone negative being contact printed until the bitumen hardened. Each tint was applied using a separate litho stone, so the finished print required a minimum of six stones, although more often 10-15 were used. The Detroit Photographic Company changed its name to the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905, and was started by the publisher William A. Livingstone and photographer Edwin H. Husher. William Henry Jackson was the best-known photographer employed by the Detroit Photographic Company, and may have been the photographer of this image.
This photochrom depicts a group of ostriches, fenced in presumably at a farm. It is unclear where this farm resides.
MakerDetroit Photographic Co.
Date Madeca. 1897-1905
Medium and MaterialsPhotochrom
Inscription and Marksrecto: [in image, in gold] 51227.The Ostrich Farm. mat verso: [pencil] 7 x 10 1/4 10 1/4 x 26 3/4 81:065:4
Measurementsimage: 9.1 cm x 18 cm
overall: 16.8 cm x 25.4 cm
Subject and Association Keywords1890s
Subject and Association Keywords1900’s
Subject and Association KeywordsPhotochrom
Subject and Association Keywordschromolithograph
Subject and Association Keywordsprinting process
Subject and Association Keywordscolor photomechanical process
Subject and Association Keywordsphotomechanical
Subject and Association Keywordsfence
Subject and Association KeywordsFarm
Subject and Association Keywordsostrich
Subject and Association KeywordsTrees
Subject and Association KeywordsPostcard
Credit LineGift of John Witter