From:Nathan Lyons Research Center, Visual Studies Workshop
Name/TitleThe Grammar School and Guild Chapel-Stratford
About this objectDepicted in the image is the Grammar school and Guild Chapel-Stratford. The structure stands on the corner of Church Street and Chapel Lane. The medieval structure is another of Stratford-upon-Avon’s best-known and most significant historic buildings. The chapel is positioned across from Shakespeare’s final home.
A.W. Elson & Company (active Boston 1894-1925) was a distinguished printing and Publishing House. The establishment operated in the late 19th century to the early 20th century—distributing photos and published writings. Entrepreneur Alfred W. Elson owned and operated the establishment. The company resided at 146 Oliver Street, Boston Massachusetts. The company found a niche in producing historical images and scenes, as well as reproductions of portraits and artwork. The company also produced photogravure plates, large carbon photographic prints, etchings, engravings, and copper-plate paintings. The products produced at Elson & Company were seen in homes, museums, schools, colleges, and libraries.
Place Made146 Oliver Street, Boston (Belmont, MA)
Place NotesThe photo was taken in Stratford, England.
MakerA. W. Elson & Co., Boston
Medium and MaterialsPhotogravure
Inscription and Marksrecto: [ink print] The Grammar School and Guild Chapel-Stratfordrecto: [ink print] Copyright, 1899, by A. W. Elson & Co., Bostonverso: [pencil] 74:074:8verso: [pencil] G775
Measurementsimage: 13.7 cm x 20.2 cm
overall: 22.3 cm x 30.5 cm
Subject and Association Keywords19th Century Photography
Subject and Association Keywords1800s
Subject and Association KeywordsA. W. Elson & Co., Boston
Subject and Association KeywordsStratford-Upon-Avon
Subject and Association KeywordsGuild Chapel-Stratford
Subject and Association KeywordsGrammar School-Stratford
Subject and Association KeywordsPhotogravure
CollectionCollection of Visual Studies Workshop
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved