Name/TitleRue Flamant, (A street in Bruges, Belgium).
About this objectIn 1863 the Neurdein (Frères Neurdein) Photography Studio was opened in Paris, France. The founder of the studio was Etienne Neurdein, (1832-1918) and his brother Louis-Antonin Neurdein (1846-1914) joined his brother in the business. The Neurdein brothers opened a photographic studio in Paris in (1863 or 1864). The brothers took on different responsibilities in the business. Étienne Neurdein managed the studio and photographed portraits, and Louis-Antonin travelled extensively while photographing monuments, architecture and landscapes. The brothers Neurdein, ultimately covered a wealth of work, by producing portraits of everything from famous contemporaries, the average person, to monumental landscapes in places like France, Belgium, Algeria and Canada. The company also published postcards under the trademarks “ND” and “X”. Etienne Neurdein managed the agency by himself between the years 1882 and 1887. The agency was jointly managed by the two brothers until 1917. Throughout the business’s years of operation, the brothers and their studio gained much critical acclaim. Depicted in the image is an interior view of the Basilica of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. The architecture is a Roman Catholic minor basilica where it resides near a citadel of Carcassonne, France. The structure is a national monument, and the building represents the Gothic-Romanesque architectural tradition.
Date Madec.a. 1890s
Medium and MaterialsAlbumen
Inscription and Marksrecto: [ink print] 222 recto: [ink print] Bruges Rue Flamant, N.D. Phot. recto: [ink] A Street in Brugesverso: [pencil] 79:175:3
Measurementsimage: 26.8 cm x 20.6 cm
overall: 35.5 cm x 27.8 cm
Subject and Association Keywords19th century photography
Subject and Association Keywords1800s
Subject and Association KeywordsFrères Neurdein
Subject and Association KeywordsBruges, Belgium
Subject and Association KeywordsRue Flamant Street
Subject and Association KeywordsAlbumen