Collections VSW Video Archive
Explore TV Dinner
- TV Dinner promotional still, circa 1993
TV Dinner was the media task force of Rochester’s Metro Justice for more than two decades, and helped chronicle many of Metro Justice’s concerns and activities, including racial justice, reproductive choice, utility issues, and the ongoing struggle for universal healthcare. Founded in 1987, TV Dinner ran video training workshops, film screenings, community art events and organized a weekly cable access television program. In Summer 2022, Metro Justice gifted the TV Dinner archive to VSW. This extensive collection of over 1,200 videotapes include produced programs, community reports, documentation of civic events, speeches, rallies, confrontations and celebrations created and collected by Metro Justice members.
Topics covered include police brutality, ecological issues, the Akzo Mine Disaster, nuclear energy, LGBTQ+ rights, indigenous cultures, the AIDS epidemic, reproductive rights, healthcare, and immigration. Formats include VHS and S-VHS, 3/4″ Umatic, 8mm and Hi8, and miniDV.
Click here to view the complete inventory and metadata for the TV Dinner archive.
To find out more about the TV Collection, or to watch digitized tapes, please fill out the Collections Inquiry form.
- The TV Dinner tape archive inside the VSW Video Collection.
- U-matic tape spines labeled "High School Education," "Nuclear Free Zone," "Gay Rights," Haudenosaunee: Under the Great Tree of Peace," and "Reproductive Rights." These tapes hold masters for TV Dinner broadcasts from 1988 and 1989.
- "Metro Justice's television task force TV DINNER is proud to present 'VIDEO SLAM!,' Wednesday, June 25, 1997."
- 3/4" Umatic tape with handwritten label that reads "TV Dinner Titles Tape"
- 8mm tape cassette case that reads: "March for Women's Lives, Washington DC, 4 - 8 and 9 - 89." TV Dinner original.
- 8mm tape cassette case that reads: "1. Pittston Strike Press Conference; 2. Pro-choice Rally at Sacred Heart Cathedral; 3. Nick Gala et al playing at Jazzberry's." TV Dinner original.