Exhibitions Le’Andra LeSeur
Project Space Studio
- "There are other hues of blue," 2019/2021. Six-Channel HD video, sound, 1h 3m 17s. Photo by Oly Shannon.
Project Space Residency
Open Studio: December 8, 6pm
Le’Andra LeSeur is a multidisciplinary artist whose work encompasses a range of media including video, installation, photography, painting, and performance. LeSeur’s body of work, a celebration of Blackness, queerness, and femininity, seeks to dismantle systems of power and achieve transcendence and liberation through perseverance. Through the insertion of her body and voice into her work, she provides her audience with an opportunity to contemplate themes such as identity, family, Black grief and joy, the experience of invisibility, and what it means to take up space as a queer Black woman—a rejection of the stereotypes which attempt to push these identities to the margins.
LeSeur has received several notable awards including the Leslie-Lohman Museum Artists Fellowship (2019) and the Juried Grand Prize at Artprize 10 (2018). LeSeur appeared in conversation with Marilyn Minter at the Brooklyn Museum, presented by the Tory Burch Foundation and has lectured at RISD and SCAD Atlanta, among others. Her work has been shown in solo and group exhibitions at The Shed, New York, NY; Marlborough, New York, NY; Atlanta Contemporary, Atlanta, GA; A.I.R. Gallery, Brooklyn, NY; Assembly Room, New York, NY; Microscope Gallery, Brooklyn, NY; Arnika Dawkins, Atlanta, GA; and others.
VSW Project Space Residencies are supported by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the New York State Legislature, Monroe County, and Joy of Giving Something. Photography artists participating in the program receive support from the Phillip and Edith Leonian Foundation.
- Le'Andra's open studio installation, which took the form of her large-scale prints laid out in collage form on the floor of the Project Space studio, lit with a red light. Imagery came from her own photography and media researched at VSW.
- Le'Andra experimented with large-scale prints of her photographs while in residency at VSW.
- Le'Andra was preparing for upcoming exhibitions and dug into VSW's many collections in search of imagery.
- A selection of lantern slides of interest to Le'Andra, found in the VSW collection.
- Le'Andra previewed a number of 16mm films from the archive on the Steenbeck, including this film "Ephesus".
- Le'Andra's deep research led her to VSW's collection of early photography.