VSW Salon Fall 2022 December 15: Spirit of the Archive
7-9pm in the VSW microcinema
Join us tonight as we celebrate the end of the year with a tribute to the VSW Lantern Slide collection.
Our annual Holiday event, Spirit of the Archive, is VSW’s opportunity to bring some of our lurking archival media to the surface for a unique exhibit. This year we are featuring our lantern slide collection in a variety of forms, including the original glass slide objects and a real “magic lantern,” a variety of projections and interpretations, and an exciting VR Lantern Slide Experience by nilson carroll! There will also be 16mm holiday films projected throughout the event. Food, drink, and holiday spirit will be shared.
Lantern slides are positive transparent photographs made on glass and viewed with the aid of a “magic lantern,” the predecessor of the slide projector. The Lantern Slide Collection at VSW holds over 65,000 objects, most of which originated from Historical Societies, Universities, Science and Art Museums, and Travel Clubs within New York State between the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The VSW Salon is programmed by Tara Merenda Nelson, email@example.com
The VSW Salon is made possible by the New York State Council on the Arts and by the ArtWorks program of the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Originates from the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences
- Installation with projections of lantern slides from the VSW archive
- Projection of lantern slides from the VSW archive
- Virtual reality installation at VSW
- Two stills from the Lantern Slide VR Experience by nilson carroll
- Projecting lantern slides
- Lantern slides on a light table